Mobile stolen/lost - procedure?

Android, iOS, Windows Phone etc.
Ozimandius
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Mazda Miata MX-5 NA

Post by Ozimandius » 06 Jun 2010, 9:20 am

Hi All,
I went with my fiancée for dinner at Hatam in Abu Hail on Thursday evening at 1800, and she thinks she may have left her second phone there, but realized it only after a full 24 hours because it had her second SIM which she hardly uses.

She went back there yesterday and they said they checked their surveillance tapes and she didn't leave it there. But the waiter who served us was on leave, so they couldn't speak to him directly, so they called instead.

When she called the cops, they said if she wanted this to be investigated, she had to file a case, but it's a lot of hassle, and they suspect and interview EVERYONE involved. They asked her to contact Samsung to block it, but when she did, they said only the cops can block it if its reported stolen. She's already blocked the Du number, but it sucks to know that my birthday gift to her will be used by someone else and she's really heartbroken.

Isn't there anything we can do? If there's no law against this, what's to stop anyone from stealing another persons cellphone, and then selling it at the second market? So what if the phone cost less than 1000, it still holds sentimental value.

hk20
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:2011 Nissan Tiida HB - JDM Project

Post by hk20 » 06 Jun 2010, 7:56 pm

i think its wise to report it to cops and block the phone so that if another person tries to sell it off to any shop they would come to know the phone is blocked. Give the IMEI number to the dealer or whoever responsible to block the MOBILE phone. Thats your best bet or give police complaint against that missing waiter!! Looks suspicious actually :roll:

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 06 Jun 2010, 10:40 pm

OK heres the deal ... everytime u enter a sim in ur mobile ... it is immediately updated in the etisalat system since they send the settings and everything immediately ... so ur best bet is tht u get an inside man in etisalat n ask him to find out for u ! i lost a phone in a very friendly and unpleasant circumstance so im trying to wor something out like tht as well .... if u find a lead PM me !!!

Mr_boost
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:09 FJ + 05 Z Convertible

Post by Mr_boost » 07 Jun 2010, 1:53 am

i dont think so its too hard as you mentioned ... my friend's mob got lost and the other day she went to etisalat with the mob serial no. (writting on the box or in the slip ) to close/block the phone with number !!

Ozimandius
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Mazda Miata MX-5 NA

Post by Ozimandius » 07 Jun 2010, 8:11 am

Thanks guys.

Mr. Boost, didn't they ask for anything? Du said they didn't have the facility, and asked her to speak to Samsung. Samsung says they can't, and asked her to go back to the cops and do it. And the cops won't do it unless a case has been made saying it's been stolen, which involves a lot of hassle for her and her family.

@Rogue, about the inside man, I might know someone, let's see!

@HK, yeah, it is very fishy!