Feb 8th Desert BBQ - Al Ain

Archived Past Events with photo galleries and all information.
kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 27 Jan 2008, 10:10 pm

1. Prossett
2. albertho555
3. newimprovednf - 2007 Nissan Altima
4. stone-head ( but not sure :? :? )
5.kingkenny
6.mikeh
7.accord98

accord98 , try , try and try !! :D

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 27 Jan 2008, 10:36 pm

Cant make it during DSF.The work is killing me.
This is the time for me to make money.:)

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 27 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm

grayfox666 wrote:Cant make it during DSF.The work is killing me.
This is the time for me to make money.:)
good luck !! there will be the other one , so no worry ar !!

Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 28 Jan 2008, 12:40 am

Implementing our new Event Registration system starting with this meet, to make it easier for you to register yourself to the meet without having to copy/paste and update attendance list again and again. All those confirmed to join in should register themselves through the form above. Your name and time of registration will be shown for the record.

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 28 Jan 2008, 9:16 am

Excellent feature, Sam! 8) (Y) Much better than strings of names.

That's alright Grayfox, got to make hay while the sun shines! Cash in, buddy!

So, looks like we have quite a party brewing here!!! (Y) It's so cool to not only recognize the names, but also know the faces of the people who are signing up! It'll be good to see you guys so I'm preparing a little surprise! :wink:

Let's talk logistics and comfort. Some of us will have 4x4 camping equipment, and some of us might not, so let's see if we can organize.

If you have one, please bring an extra chair. I'll bring a coolbox with ice so people without can put their drinks in there (no alcohol, of course; and only room for closed drinks, not meat).

If you don't have a BBQ grill, I can prepare for you. That's fine, I'm happy to play chef, but please let me know so I can arrange. Choice of lamb chops or chicken, maximum 8 people.

Please bring your own garbage bag, and leave absolutely no litter - not even cigarette butts. Coals are fine, we'll just bury them (organic, they actually fertilize).

newimprovednf
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:2012 KIA Optima

Post by newimprovednf » 28 Jan 2008, 11:06 am

Hey Prossett...

Hav never been to such a meet b4... so lack of experience is makin me ask these questions :D

Hows this gonna happen...?
How many grill tables do we have?
Wot abt the meat, drinks and snacks?
Wot all should we bring?

For those who are planing to go off road...
Tow rope... Pressure gauge... Shovel...
anythin lik that?? :?

newimprovednf
UB Senior Member

Post by newimprovednf » 28 Jan 2008, 11:09 am

and one more thing ...

If I'm bringing my dad's X-Trail... will I be able to do some off road... or is it just limited to Big Guys like Land Cruiser/Patrol/Wrangler.... :D

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 28 Jan 2008, 12:38 pm

Good questions: here's how I see the day working out, but of course we'll let it run its own course.

The area is one really big dune, surrounded by some bowls and medium dunes, and those are surrounded by gentle easy dunes, which go right up to a tarmac road.

The nice thing about the big dune is that there is a very easy way up to a ledge about half-way up that any 4x4 can reach on a smooth climb. It's about 500 metres from the tarmac.

So, the street cars park on the tarmac (it's a dead-end side-road, zero traffic) and they either jump in with the 4x4s or they can walk up the dune crest (it's a beautiful walk, great view, right up along the crest line - don't be lazy!!!)

I would suggest the 4x4s first drive up to the ledge to establish camp (dump out all the chairs, mats, grills, coolboxes, etc.) - we'll make that ledge a no-drive area after that so that people can sit and chat and watch the action without worrying about cars.

Then, the 4x4s will probably split up into ability groups. I'll be glad to spend some time with the newbies to sand and so will some of my buddies who will be coming as well. If you like, in ten-twenty minutes an experienced dune driver can show a first-timer 3-4 basic sand-driving techniques that will have you negotiating medium dunes with confidence, complete control and zero damage to your car.

More experienced 4x4s can try to "Chase the Devil" - that's a race around the main dune or just play on the medium dunes.

Very experienced 4x4s may try the "Devil's Plunge" which is coming up the back of the big dune and cresting over to the other side - please make sure you know what you're doing because if you screw up it's 12-15 complete rolls to the flat! It's also hard on your truck if it's stock height and suspension. It's like a roller-coaster feeling and will scare the cr@p out of you - please cover passenger seats with plastic... :D

Other drivers may try to climb the dune face, either the easy way up or straight up. This was the location of the Dubai4x4 King of the Desert Challenge, and the hill climb was won by my ex-Wrangler. I still have the measuring rope if anyone's interested at trying to beat my record... :!:

While all this driving is going on, it's all perfectly visible from the ledge, where people can sit and chat and get those cooking fires burning.

It's a very small area, with roads on all sides, so there's no danger of getting lost. People will probably get stuck so bring recovery equipment - please no cheap ropes and shackles: very dangerous! At every stuck, let an experienced guy take charge and do exactly what he says so you are a team - no pulling at the wrong time.

Also, please don't drive above your ability level - you'll just break your car if you do. A beginner should stick to beginner dunes until he is ready to move up. You are all responsible for your own actions. I've been to this area by myself and with buddies many many times (70-90?) as it's my favourite test spot, and sunset spot, and tea spot, and we haven't had a roll in this area yet, but three vehicles have had to be towed out (burnt clutch) and every time someone gets stuck, so don't worry about that.

Things to bring if you have them:

camping chairs
camping mat
grill
coals
fire-starter
cooking equipment
food
drinks
picnic table
tow rope
tow shackles
shovel

We're going to be lucky in that members from Dubaidesertclub will be joining us as well as some from Dubai4x4 - these guys are 4x4 pros and they're great guys with super-modified trucks and all the camping stuff you can imagine. This is what they do, and this is what I do in Al Ain, so if it's your first time on the sands you'll be in good hands, and if you're experienced on the sands you're going to love the place.

As a final note: you do not have to drive if you don't feel like it. Just come up to the ledge and chill and watch the excitement around you. Bring friends, family and kids. We will stay in one place and not go cross-country.

Any more questions, shoot! 8)

newimprovednf
UB Senior Member

Post by newimprovednf » 28 Jan 2008, 1:04 pm

That all from me... Thnx... (Y)

a7med
UB Dedicated Member

Post by a7med » 28 Jan 2008, 4:48 pm

can i bring my gf? or is it an 'all guys' kind'a thing?

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 28 Jan 2008, 7:14 pm

Sure - girlfriend, wife, little sister, mom, grandma; this is actually one of the few desert drives they'll enjoy because there can be as little as 500 metres of driving with one gentle climb, there's a nice view, and the weather will prolly be just perfect!

Bring your dog, too, if you have one! :D

Actually, I was there not too long ago with the Mom of one of my friends, so she's like 80 years old and all frail and wrinkly, and I ask the kids if they want to jump in with me and go up top, and while they're cheering Yayyyyy! this old voice pitches in: "Me First!!!" :| It's granny!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOL So I took her up, she screams all the way up, I stop and help her out for the really high view, she sits down and lights up a cigarette!~!!!!!!! :| :| :| and says: "Phew, couldn't wait any longer, don't want to smoke in front of my grandchildren, you know!!!!" LOOOOOOOL

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 28 Jan 2008, 10:37 pm

Prossett, sorry going off topic but back to a question newimprovednf asked....

How would an Xtrail fair on the dunes?

WKZ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:EP82 Starlet+Jeep Wrangler

Post by WKZ » 28 Jan 2008, 11:01 pm

prossett wrote: Actually, I was there not too long ago with the Mom of one of my friends, so she's like 80 years old and all frail and wrinkly, and I ask the kids if they want to jump in with me and go up top, and while they're cheering Yayyyyy! this old voice pitches in: "Me First!!!" :| It's granny!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOL So I took her up, she screams all the way up, I stop and help her out for the really high view, she sits down and lights up a cigarette!~!!!!!!! :| :| :| and says: "Phew, couldn't wait any longer, don't want to smoke in front of my grandchildren, you know!!!!" LOOOOOOOL
:)
Last time I had gone to this resort in U.A.Q with friends & family and we all were merrily jet-sking when suddenly my friend's grandma snatches the jet-ski from me and shows me the backseat!
Man,she rode like a maniac,scared the shit out of me :s !

@Accord98:From my little experience I think the X-Trail will be able to manage the easy dunes as our CR-V does not have any problems in the easy dunes at Hamidiya desert in Ajman.Newimprovednf,there's no harm in trying it out,there will be to a whole club ready to help you if you get stuck

newimprovednf
UB Senior Member

Post by newimprovednf » 28 Jan 2008, 11:28 pm

Hmmm... thnx guys... will try it anywayz...
Hav done couple of trips wid dubai4x4 guys a year b4... with my bros wrangler...
lets see wots gonna happen (Y)

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 28 Jan 2008, 11:41 pm

Well, the problem with the X-trail and other crossovers / soft offroaders is that they aren't built for the tough stuff.

The suspension is not made for hard knocks, and the ground clearance is too low to stop dragging its belly over stuff, and the front and rear bumpers are overhanging plastic.

So, if you push it through some heavy terrain, the suspension will bottom out causing damage to the chassis, everything underneath will get scratched and banged up, and the bumpers will be ripped off.

So, don't push it through heavy-duty terrain. :wink:

Lucky for us, you can even get up Devil's Plunge with a Corolla if you deflate the tyres and ask your buddy Fat Fadel to get out, so don't worry one little bit about the X-Trail for Feb 8th - just drive it on the smooth sand and avoid going over crests and 100% it will perform fine. 8)