Possibly an Mr2 in Dubai soon

Talk about car reviews & comparisons, buying advice & suggestions, spy shots etc.
Kalergie
UB Junior Member

Post by Kalergie » 04 Oct 2015, 7:40 pm

Hi guys and girls in this forum. I have lived in Dubai for many years and I am fairly certain I will stay for a long time coming. I have my baby, an Mr2 Turbo US Model, in my garage back in Europe. I am quite intrigued to get it over here and drive it into the Middle Eastern sunset. 8-)

My understanding of the Dubai road law is that the times of heavily tuned monsters is over. My Mr2 is however, slightly modded. New exhaust, wheels, engine mods here and there such as new K&N air filter, light flywheel, boost controller. All mainly to make it run better and be a better car rather than show and shine like an idiot. :)

It has however been stored in a garage for a few years and I am wondering if I should get it sorted back home or here. In Europe, work and parts are presumably much more expensive so I am wondering if it is worth waiting and sending it here first. Then do the mechanical repairs if applicable.

Would appreciate your input on this. If you have any tips and no-gos you can share with me that be great.

BTW: do people meet up sometimes for chats and showing each others cars? Would be really interested in joining that. :smile:

Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 13 Oct 2015, 11:04 am

It would be better to get the car here since you don't plan on going back to Europe anytime soon. Parts & labor is considerably cheaper. All the mods you mentioned will not cause any trouble for you if you were to try and register the car here, except for the exhaust system - which also depends on how loud it really is.

Sy.
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Sy. » 13 Oct 2015, 4:56 pm

will they have parts for a 3S-GTE engine ? Could be better to get it fixed up where you know.
I would suggest selling it and buy something else fun here. Could be a lot of hassle to get it here , registered , running costs .......

Can you import cars older than 10 years ? im still confused on this part.