Air Filters

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
Neo
Vehicle:2005 Hyundai Coupe

Post by Neo » 18 Oct 2008, 10:59 pm

SImota Sux... Good luck with your engine.

And guys with Mercs and Beems ... please just go about upgrading to SRI or CAI urself.
You engine might not really like it. I mean ur ECU.

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 18 Oct 2008, 11:02 pm

true neo .... my cuz put a cheap air filter and it f@#ked the engine compression ratios and eveerything ... the mechanix told em that alot of dust had gotten into the engine cuz of the air filter and messed it up ... for a new swift use the best and most quality stuff even if it costs a bit ... atleast u wont regret it later ...

Neo

Post by Neo » 19 Oct 2008, 7:29 am

I mean please dont go about installing the intake urself....
Typo...

Even most of the newer cars having coughing and stall after installing.
Most of then get cleared over time.
Sometimes the problem could be a leaking vaccum pipe or MAF or MAP sensor aligned in the wrong direction.. etc..
UAE has a dusty climate... you really want to go with the best brands...
If you can check online which one fits your car and import it. It would be the best.

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 19 Oct 2008, 5:41 pm

Well, if you do a little research and do it properly, there's no problem with installing it yourself.

The key is to understand what you're doing, like with any mod.

For example, some guys don't take the time to read and understand that the high-flow cotton gauze filters need to be oiled.. and they just slap one on dry, and then the engine sucks in all this dust. It's the oil that stops the dust, not the filter.

The reason that the engine coughs and splutters is because the computer has stored the air-flow data, and suddenly there's a lot more air coming in, beyond the range it can cope with, and so it can't adjust the fuel properly. You either need to re-set the parameters with a procedure specific to your car model or wait for some time and it will do it automatically.

Usually, it's something simple like disconnecting the battery for a minute, or turning the ignition on/off, on/off, on/off three times... it depends on each model.

Basically, with any mod, a little true knowledge is required. Not just doing what a friend did, or said, or said he did - no, go and search and read, get a repair manual, check the forums, and then follow the procedures without improvising.

If you don't want to do the homework, or can't maybe due to time or language issues, then it's best you take it to a pro. But air intake is really one of the simplest mods you can do, and so it's definitely within reach of any driver who can turn a screwdriver the right way.

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 19 Oct 2008, 6:10 pm

wwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooowwwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhhhh proseet ur back ... where'd u been man ???

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 19 Oct 2008, 8:15 pm

Well said PR....
I was also one of those guys that just slapped my intake on without oiling it :( ....

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 19 Oct 2008, 8:25 pm

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOL but the first time only...

Good to be back on the board, guys! Hey, UAE Uni Car Show coming up too, so get them wheels shiny! 8)

Neo

Post by Neo » 19 Oct 2008, 9:58 pm

Right Prossett, Read instruction Manual....
That what most these guys dont do.

And thats exactly why I asked these guys to take it to a professional.

Its easy to remove the existing OEM intake system. Pull the plug...
What happenes is when they fix the new one... Be it CAI or SRI.. the pipes and positioning confuses them. And they do what ever they feel is right.

Next is the ECU resetting... Its a common knowledge to many but still a mystery to some.

When you reset your ecu you might also notice you car behaving in a different way which shifting (Automatic)

n_e_h_a_d
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:LaNcEr GT 08

Post by n_e_h_a_d » 20 Oct 2008, 12:09 am

WOOOW..
u people rlly know alot MASHALLAH
it wud b btr if showd to sum1 of u???

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 20 Oct 2008, 4:17 am

show us and we can guide you through it..post up pics of your engine bay and the intake kit you want to install....
Also for general maintenance of your intake you can buy the K&N intake cleaning kit. Which is if I remember correctly has some sprays in it to oil the filter ever time you service the car....

@Neo- I never noticed any difference when I reset my ECU for my car, and that was like all the time :P ...it might be different from car to car .....

Neo

Post by Neo » 20 Oct 2008, 9:13 am

Tamu, automatic gears sometimes might take a while to learn just like the ECU so there might be a jumpiness the first few KMs.
High end cars have lot of memory details like, central locking, windows closing and what not....
I had noticed it while working on Jaguar and similar cars...
Referring the user manual also will explain this. (Again who reads this)
But what i am saying is, it could happen, but doesnt need to.
;)

There is always specialized forum for cars. Like Newtiburon for Hyundai coupes.... there is almost all the DIY;s for my car over there... so i bet you can find one for yours.

Read up man. Know what your will gain and how you will gain with a CAI or SRI or just filter swap. Weigh the advantage. Check which brand is friendly to your car, easier to install maintain. What precautions or surprises does an DIY hold for the installation. What to watch out. What tools you will require. Does your filter require oiling. It will all be there in these forums.

Once you know what to do, you can judge whether it is upto you.

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 20 Oct 2008, 1:04 pm

Exactly, plus you might even find out the intake is already optimized for your stock engine and that you really won't get any gains - so then you can manage your available modding budget accordingly.

Jazz for instance does not particularly benefit from a high-flow filter. So it's better to spend the money elsewhere.

G37Sam
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:08 Infiniti G37

Post by G37Sam » 19 Dec 2008, 3:20 am

if you're looking for noise you need to replace the tubes too! stock tubes cut down on the noise, have them replaced

TurboKam512
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:EJ white angel

Post by TurboKam512 » 25 May 2009, 3:14 pm

the air required should be clean
i have tried both K&N , AEM & Simota and they are almost the same
the filter only makes the difference when it is clean and new
so dont wash it just replace it every 10k milage or so and see the difference
i'm using a HKS for now and is fine
might get a K&N next time AGAIN!!
:d :!:

Matt_JPM
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1995 Eclipse GST

Post by Matt_JPM » 16 Jul 2009, 1:34 pm

where could I get a new K&N air filter (just the filter) to replace the stock one on my 95 Eclipse GST? I'm looking for the High Flow Direct Fit OE Replacement Cotton Gauze Panel for the auto tranny. Or something like that. Will give the engine a healthy air flow and possibly eliminate my unburnt fuel problem...