short ram vs cold air intake IAT

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
albertho555
UB Special Member
Vehicle:B18C Civic HB

Post by albertho555 » 18 Jan 2009, 6:25 pm

short ram vs cold air intake

Hi guys, just thought i'd share a little research i did today. i wanted to see the intake air temperature difference between a short ram and a cold air intake.

Time was 4pm, outside air temperature was 24 celcius

cold air intake readings:
coolant temperatures averaged 87
intake air temperatures averaged 32celcius and maxed out at 36 in standstill traffic.

short ram intake readings:
coolant temperatures averaged 87
intake air temperature 45celcius and maxed at 52 in stand still traffic.

So .... this is tried and tested in UAE :P by me :)

With summer temperatures, im sure a short ram temperatures will be MUCH higher.

what will you choose? lots of positives and negatives of each. Volume of air vs temperature seems to be the main points? ... lets put together a nice thread with regards to CAI and SRI :)

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 18 Jan 2009, 7:59 pm

Looks like crisis did affect you huh? Nothing else to do? :)

Which car was it? what did you use for measuring?

i guess there is such a huge difference cuz of the outside temperature now.
In summer it will be almost the same with a diff with a few digrees as the air is freakin hot.

The problem is, that when the air is entering the filter, its still cool, but when it gets to your chambers its as hot as your engine. Since it passed through the tube which is VERY hot. I did a " feel " test on that.LOL

For sure there is a difference, but it is very small and can be counted towards the other mods that you add and that work together.

Anyway, i got other question. Do you guys reset your ECU after changing or not?
I have read somewhere that you should but not sure.

Oh,.,., and there is no diff in power like most of us know, but there is better throtle responce at WOT for sure. :)

im bored too, i think its my longest post ever. :|

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member

Post by grayfox666 » 18 Jan 2009, 8:12 pm

BTW, where can i dyno my car? I have dyno for the stock accord, i just wanna see the diff ( if any) out of curiosity with the CAI.

albertho555
UB Special Member

Post by albertho555 » 18 Jan 2009, 9:26 pm

i think everyone is going to TAM garage for dynoes these days.

used Scanguage II for readings, it reads off your factory sensors.

Did it on the Prado bro .... cold air readings with the lid cover closed (sucks air from inside the fender) on the AFE intake and SRI readings with the lid open. not exactly a proper comparison, but i just wanted an idea of the readings with the lid open and the intake sucking hot engine-bay air.
Attachments
P1000031sss.jpg

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 18 Jan 2009, 10:43 pm

I tried over 4 intakes on my miskeen civic back in the day!! I felt a slower throttle response from the CAI compared to the SRI :(
I also had another problem in my civic - the CAI would end up right near the radiator which produced tremendous heat + the pipes were very close to the engine which made them very hot. But like grayfox said - by the time the air would reach the chamber it would be hotter then the engine itself.
for me the intake is just for sound and maybe a little better throttle response in WOT....
potentially even if you just put in a drop-in filter in your stock intake box and leave it open a bit you would get the same results :) ...intakes make good power in turbo cars - but rarely in N/A cars :( ....

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 19 Jan 2009, 1:24 am

LOL it seems we gonna have fun here
watch this thread grows as a rice plant :wink:
why don't u just ditch that intake n go for independent throttle bodies
ITBs :D
so guys u still playing with ur hondas or what ??

a7med
UB Dedicated Member

Post by a7med » 19 Jan 2009, 2:00 am

stone-head wrote: so guys u still playing with ur hondas or what ??
at least we still have something left to play with, what about you?

i got my AEM CAI just today, will install it tomorrow ... already feeling some HP increase after puuting the AEM decals on :D Now both of my cars have AEM CIA :)

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 19 Jan 2009, 2:12 am

a7med wrote:

i got my AEM CAI just today, will install it tomorrow ... already feeling some HP increase after puuting the AEM decals on :D Now both of my cars have AEM CIA :)
hahahahaahahaahaha..... LOL ....

AEM is the way ...

i have noticed much power gain with my AEM V2 CAI.

id say the best way would b a Snorkel .... :D

SD -

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member

Post by grayfox666 » 19 Jan 2009, 8:40 am

stone-head wrote:LOL it seems we gonna have fun here
watch this thread grows as a rice plant :wink:
why don't u just ditch that intake n go for independent throttle bodies
ITBs :D
so guys u still playing with ur hondas or what ??
What about your car, still alive? bwahahaha :D

ITBs would be great. i discussed it with kenny awhile back. It will be impossible to have it here with the sand here.

Though, i have found a set made that has a detachable filter box that you can put on and remove at the track within few secs. But it costs like hell.

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 19 Jan 2009, 9:32 am

a7med wrote:
:D Mr.Adiga , yep I'm still alive n sold that wing cause I'm sick of cops
stopping me always n heavily tinted LCs always wanna race me :arrow:
grayfox666 wrote: What about your car, still alive? bwahahaha :D

Live n kicken n that blad won't die :D , need to do minor thingies , I may
even upgrade to rb26 if I ever find a " dead rb26 " ,u know , head swap
n stuff 8)

yep ITBs do magic , even my cousin swapped 4AGE 20 valve into a skoda hatchback
boy what a sleeper-screamer it's :!:

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 19 Jan 2009, 10:57 am

both cai /sri woks almost desame - from my experience

aem/simote/injen pipes will work desame as its pipe usually made from stainless steel.
unlike from my top fuel intake which is made from C/F :D and little S/S
there is some power chamber intake that is made from plastic too.
when it comes to open air intake, the open filter serve an important role as it regulate the dirt :D coming thru your engine.

When car travel the temperature in the engine will be almost desame only part the are nearer to radiator / exhaust will be surely be hotter especially metal components or any thing that is a good conductor of heat :roll:

simple science :D
hot air moves up (Y)

simple logic :D
hot air rises - correct but how about in the engine bonnet is close where it goes :roll:

for me there will be a very little & even un-notice different for these both intake.
SRI - could be a better responce
since the air travel shorter
CAI - colder air as per advertisement
only big difference will be the sound :D

now i still prefer the oem close box with k&n filter than any open air intake or any aftermarket close intake :happy:
no throttle flactuation

there could be a different on temperature from cai / sri but we will never know what will be the effect - raise or loss HP unless we do dyno. if money permitted
better dyno the car with oem component
change to cai then dyno
change to sri then dyno
and result will vary from different factors - a lot

a7med
UB Dedicated Member

Post by a7med » 19 Jan 2009, 12:32 pm

toleg you should go to jail for the smilies you used in the post
hot air moves up, but i don't think that matters inside the hood as air is moving everywhere due to air rammed into the grill thus constantly getting mixed, but its proven already that intake sucking air away from engine bay is colder and more dense, even in hot summer days.

Khan
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1989 CRX Si

Post by Khan » 19 Jan 2009, 12:53 pm

well ppl my word on the subject is for both....

Cold Air Intake (CAI)
POSITIVES: Since its farther away from the engine it get colder air wich carries more oxygen thus creating bigger explosions in the engine thus giving more horse power.
NEGATIVES: Since its a longer pipe it takes longer for the air to get to the engine (less throttle response).

Short Ram Intake:
POSTIVES: Smaller pipe so air response is faster, almost no chance of water getting into engine.
NEGATIVES: Since it is closer to the engine it heats up when the car is at a stop and delivers hot air with less oxygen molecules causing the HP to go down.

Neutral: Louder, deeper sound- pro to some, con to others

** Temperature difference is gone when the car is in motion, there is enough air flow to forceably scavange hot air out of the engine bay to be replaced by colder air. **

Note: At any rate, a "good" CAI vs a "good" SRI are practically equivalent when at speed.

Moral of the story:
Any intake is better than a stock intake because the internals of the after market intake is smoother and tested to perform better than stock. stock intake air boxes allow LESS air than moded intakes. MORE air = MORE power!

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 19 Jan 2009, 2:27 pm

Khan wrote:well ppl my word on the subject is for both....

Cold Air Intake (CAI)
POSITIVES: Since its farther away from the engine it get colder air wich carries more oxygen thus creating bigger explosions in the engine thus giving more horse power.
NEGATIVES: Since its a longer pipe it takes longer for the air to get to the engine (less throttle response).

Short Ram Intake:
POSTIVES: Smaller pipe so air response is faster, almost no chance of water getting into engine.
NEGATIVES: Since it is closer to the engine it heats up when the car is at a stop and delivers hot air with less oxygen molecules causing the HP to go down.

Neutral: Louder, deeper sound- pro to some, con to others

** Temperature difference is gone when the car is in motion, there is enough air flow to forceably scavange hot air out of the engine bay to be replaced by colder air. **

Note: At any rate, a "good" CAI vs a "good" SRI are practically equivalent when at speed.
true (Y)

Moral of the story:
Any intake is better than a stock intake because the internals of the after market intake is smoother and tested to perform better than stock. stock intake air boxes allow LESS air than moded intakes. MORE air = MORE power!
my oem box in my car is better than aem v2 :D
aem v2 intake for sale with new filter :D

albertho555
UB Special Member

Post by albertho555 » 19 Jan 2009, 2:30 pm

Oh my !! so many replies.

Agree with Toleg, a lot of factors play a role in this. The material used on the intake, the flow of the filter, the flow rate in the pipes, the temperatures too.

just shared my view of the temperatures :P now im waiting for someone to dyno it and show the differences :P eheheheh